Imports from Live Blog

Thursday 24 January 2008

Facebook - Stem the Surge of Crapware!

I have to say, I REALLY like Facebook (FB). I think there is a lot of great stuff already there, and they actually seem to be quite user-driven. Most of the new features seem to go down well (some, not so much!). But I think it has a nice clean layout, there's stupid "pimp my profile" crap going on, and it functions well.

They also have a great set of API's that make it easy for developers to build FB-centric applications. Which is great, I am currently working on a FB pet project myself. However, this has also caused a HUGE influx of crapware. Every day I have about 20+ requests to be a zombie, race people, kiss people, have a food fight and lots of other rubbish that I am not interested in.

So I sent an email to FB support asking if/how I can block all the invites. And I received the following response:

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, the functionality you are requesting is not currently
available. We will keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to improve
the site.

To block an application, click the "Applications" link in your
left-hand menu. You'll be taken to the Application Directory.

From the Application Directory, find the application you wish to block,
and click on the picture for the application to see its About page. On
the About page you will have the option to "Block this Application" on
the right side of the screen.

Blocking an application will prevent you from receiving invites to add
this application. It will also disable the application from using your
information. This means your friends will no longer be able to
communicate with you using this application. Finally, it will prevent the
application from publishing stories in your News Feed.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Let me know if you have any further
questions.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

[Name Removed]
User Operations
Facebook

So, while I do find it a tad annoying that there is no global kill-switch for this thing, with 20+ invites a day I will have all the damn things blocked soon! =D


The good news is is that blocked applications don't pollute your actual applications list either, so overall, I don't think its a bad job done by the FB guys!


No comments: