Imports from Live Blog

Sunday 9 March 2008

No Easy Way to Say It - Some Geek's are Dicks

I read this post on Jeff Atwood's blog (CodingHorror) and I have to say, it really upset me. As I commented on the post, us geek's can/are often privy to very sensitive, highly confidential information. The "normies" (non-geek's) give us implicit trust when they load our software/user our services, it should never be abused.

I have often seen a lot of information that could be used to really screw people, both in the workplace and personally (especially when sorting computers for friends/family). Since they have asked me to do a job/favour as a [trusted] geek, I do what I am supposed to do, sort the problems they are having, then privately give them the "heads up" on what I found/saw and advise them on how to secure their information.

For example, I had a friend who had posted their contact information on Facebook. They had listed quite a lot of information including full date of birth, and address, and it was publicly viewable, and a huge security risk (in the wrong hands you could actually be talking identity theft with that information).. Now many people are kind of oblivious to this, why? because they trust us geek's to bail them out. I got on the phone to them immediately and told them what I had found, then spent 30 minutes guiding them through how to sort their public profile out and hide confidential information. I also advised them on how to set up Google Alerts so they can actually find out what information is available on them via a Google Search. They were amazed at how much they learnt from me in that 30 minutes - and a little bit shook up, they truly had no idea. They didn't stop saying "thank you", and it made me proud and pleased to be able help them out. I also got that lovely little warm fuzzy feeling you get when you know you have done the right thing.

So fellow geek's, please don't be a dick, it makes the rest of us look bad.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments: